Monday, September 10, 2007

A museum trip!

Hi Mum,

Mary & her family took me to see the Mesa Desert Southwest Museum last weekend. This place has one of the largest collections of Dinosaur bones in the South Western United States! Once we got inside I saw my first dinosaur skeleton. It was of T Rex! He is GINORMUS MUM! He has really big scary teeth. He actually looked hungry.



After we saw mean ol T Rex we went outside for a bit. I got to pan for gold like the miners did in the old west. It takes a long time to find gold mum. We worked hard & the girls got very wet. I didn't get wet because I was careful. After we finished I was told it wasn't even REAL gold. We were paning for pyrite, better know as fools gold. I was nice & gave mine to Elizabeth. If you look really close you may be able to see the little pieces of gold on the left side of my pan. It was a lot of fun.


Next I got to sit on a Saguaro Cactus. You know I can't fly so Mary's dad put me in the cactus. I was far off the ground. Then I was told I was sitting on the arm of a small Saguaro. They are the size of trees when full grown & are considered to be an endangered plant species. The largest Saguaro is 13.8 m tall and has a girth of 3.1 m. These plants are 75 years old before they grow an arm & can live for more than 150 years. Their only natural habitat is in certain elevations of the Sonoran Desert. If you destroy, move or even just shoot one of these plants in Arizona you can go to jail!


I got to spend a few minutes in "jail" at the museum. Here I am with Mary & Charlotte. We were only in here long enough to get our picture taken by Mary's dad. I didn't like it & neither did Charlotte. I guess you could call us "jail birds" in this picture. Thank goodness we were able to get out fast.


Here I am inside of a replica of the Tuscon Meteorite. There is an entire section of this place dedicated to different kinds of minerals & things that are mined in Arizona. The real Tuscon meteorite was moved to the Smithsonian Museum in 1863. it is unusual in both size & composition. It is said that Tuscon blacksmiths used the meteorite as an anvil due to it's metallic content.

There was SO much to see here at this museum mum. We spent most of the day here & I learned a lot of stuff. This fall this museum is being renamed the Arizona Museum of Natural History. I can't even tell you about everything I saw in this entry. It's getting late & I'm tired.

I'll write again very soon.

XOXOXOXOXOX

Kiwi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home