Sunday, July 09, 2006

My day at the beach





This week Julia and her friends took me to the beach at Eldena. It’s about 5 km away from the town centre and they walked so I was very happy to hitch a ride in Julia’s bag. The sea bath is in a secluded corner of the Baltic Sea, in a bay between the island of Rügen and the coast. It is not actually a real beach there, although it looks like one now. 30 years ago or so local authorities decided they would like to have a beach of their own. So what they did was scraped some sand off the bottom of the sea and took it to the nearest stretch of the coast. This is the reason why there are so many sea-shells in the sand, but it doesn’t matter, still a nice place to spend a hot day. I sat in the sand and watched the people go swimming. A strange thing this – people put on bathing suits and go into the water and start screaming because it is cold. Then they come out of the water again and start complaining how hot it is. I preferred to sit in the dunes and tried to get a tan – do you think it worked?

After so much relaxation it was time again for some culture. I was taken to the ruin of Eldena Monastery, the place where Greifswald began in 1199. There are just some old walls but they look very pretty and there are lots of big old oak trees that make the ruin look more like a park. I did some sight seeing and then opted for the tourist thing to do – I got my picture taken in front of the ruin. Look at me there! I’m curious where my next trip will take me.

And finally I'd like to day HAPPY BIRTHDAY and Herzlichen Glückwunsch zum Geburtstag to my friend Christine who celebrates today - Sunday 9.7. - I hope you have a great day and a nice celebration! Kiwi

1 Comments:

Blogger Alette said...

Oh you sure see and do a lot of nice things Kiwi. So nice to hear you are having a great time :)

Alette

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home